Recycle LogoReduce, Re-Use, Recycle – in your home, at school, and at First Unitarian Universalist Church!

The following items may go into the brown bin marked for Recycling:

  • Catalogs/Magazines
  • Hanging files
  • Mail
  • Newspaper
  • Paper – copy paper, flyers, brochures, envelopes
  • Phone books
  • Aluminum, steel, and tin cans
  • Cardboard
  • CD cases
  • Glass bottles
  • Laundry detergent containers
  • Paper milk and juice cartons (plastic-lined)
  • Peanut butter containers
  • Plastics #1-7, including soda and water bottles
  • Styrofoam® food containers (e.g., take-out trays and cups)

Aluminum foil
Carbon paper
Electronic and computer scrap material
Floor sweepings
Hazardous waste
Plastic bags and plastic shrinkwrap
Plastic utensils
Styrofoam® formed packing or “peanuts”
Used paper plates and paper cups
Waxed paper and waxed food containers (see above)
Wet materials
Yard debris

Some Solutions for UNACCEPTABLE Items:


If you have plastic bags, they can be reused for:

  • small trash bags
  • cleaning up after pets (newspaper bags are especially good for this)


  • Bring reusable bags to stores, so you don’t use lots of plastic bags.
  • Try to purchase products with less packaging.

Places to recycle other materials:
Plastic bags: HEB, JCPenney, Target, Walgreens, Walmart locations
Used CFL (compact fluorescent light) bulbs: Home Depot

For additional information see or



2 responses to this post.

  1. Posted by Pat Cummins on May 4, 2012 at 4:19 pm

    I would like to know what to do with batteries, hearing aid and the batteries we use at home.


  2. Posted by Betty Dabney on March 15, 2013 at 5:14 pm

    Regular batteries such as flashlight batteries can be put out with the household waste. Button batteries, cell phone batteries and computer batteries need to be taken to a hazardous waste drop-off site. You can find the nearest site at Note: you need to bring a utility receipt showing that you pay a City of San Antonio waste fee. Residents of Alamo Heights and other municipalities that don’t use COSA solid waste services are out of luck. In that case you will need to contact your City Hall to find out what to do. And if your municipality doesn’t offer a hazardous waste disposal program, tell them to start one!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: